The Castle of Strambinello is also the story of its present owner who, thirty years ago, bought it in a state of ruin and realized his dream by restoring it to its ancient splendor.
The middle age
The castle of Strambinello is isolated from the town because it was built in a strategic position as an outpost facing other castles of the Pedanea.
Its origins were lost but the first written documents are from the 12th Century. The first lords were the Counts of San Martino and thereafter the Counts of Castellamonte who became lords from the 14th Century.
The original structure at that time was a medieval fortress with a quadrangular form and with towers in the corners.
At the end of 1300, after the popular revolt named Tuchinaggio, the castle, like others in the area, was besieged, invaded and in part destroyed. It was rebuilt during the subsequent centuries but traces of the Middle Ages are still visible today.
In the 17th Century, the counts transformed it according to the splendour of the era.
The main rooms were renovated with big fireplaces with their coat of arms, a big room was also dedicated to Carlo Emanuele II, Duke of Savoy from 1648 to 1675.
At the end of 1600 the castle passed from the Counts of Castellamonte to the Counts of Bersano through marriage and subsequently to the Counts of Barone in the 18th Century.
From XIX century to now
In the 19th Century the castle was shared between several middle class families that turned it into a colonial house with several outbuildings and then fell into ruins.
In the 80s, the castle was bought by the present owner who with the help of his wife, restored it to its original glory. Next to the castle there is a small deconsecrated chapel and now it is used as a restoration workshop.